You’ve been working on your novel or your short story, but you’re stumped. There’s something off about your story, something that makes it hard to believe, not to mention your word count might be lower than you anticipated.
How do you go about remedying this? How can you expand your work?
One way is through narration.
- Force your characters to do more, go bigger. You want to push them outside their comfort zone.
- You want to make sure there are enough obstacles in your characters way to make what they’re doing have a big emotional and physical impact.
- Find ways to reveal your characters’ internal states of mind – their thoughts, beliefs, ideals, fears– through their actions, or lack thereof.
Another way to expand is through description.
- Find ways to show tension and movement through description.
- Show what’s happening through sensory details. Make readers experience the same sensations your characters…
View original post 350 more words